DIY EYE MASK TUTORIAL


Hi! I can't believe it's already Monday, my weekend has flown by...we just got back home this morning, after eleven hours of train and three of ferry (no complains!), from a trip to the Lofoten islands. It was my birthday gift and wow, it's been truly amazing! It's such a special place to get lost if you enjoy NATURE and small villages. I will show you some pics later this week and I also want to recommend one of the places we slept where we felt almost better than home (just in case someone reading is interested in going there!).

On Thursday morning I realized I didn't have any eye mask to take with me to the train! I am not used to have problems to get asleep, but since we moved to Norway, we have been experiencing longer and longer days, until the point that I really don't remember when was the last time I saw the night. In our bedroom, we have dark curtains that really help us sleep, but my fear came when I realized that we had to sleep on the train all the "night"! So, I rushed to make a couple of eye masks and today I thought it would be great to share an easy tutorial with all of you!

1. You will need two different cotton fabrics, one for the top and the other for the back (darker). You will also need quilting battingelastic and of course, the eye mask pattern (Click to download, print and trim). 2. Place your fabrics with right sides together over the batting. Pin on top the printed eye mask pattern.
3. Cut around the pattern in order to have the three layers with the same shape.
4. Remove the paper and measure your head to know how much elastic you need to cut (add an extra Inch or 1 1/2 Inch). Pin the elastic ends in place as shown in the image above on the right side of your back fabric.
5. Then, place on top, the other piece of fabric (right side down) and pin it in place.
6. Stitch a 1/2 Inch seam allowance all around the edge (it's important that you stitch a nice curve when you get to the nose edge), leaving an aperture enough big to flip it around at the end (one Inch approximately).

7. See the aperture?
8-9. Make small cuts on the curves as shown above. This step will allow to have a nice shape once you flip it around. Be careful not to cut the seam!
10. Turn your eye mask right side out and close the aperture with a hidden stitch.

I ended up making one for Albert too, just for fun, because I know he ins't very fan of this...(but he kind of liked it haha!).


I thought I was done here, but then I decided to edge stitch all around the eye masks, because I wanted them to be a bit more flat. This last step is totally up to you!


As you see...it saved my life! :) *See the views here!

Have a great Monday!

Ingrid


32 comments:

  1. Wow dis is luvly nice concept ,do post the picture let mi see the nice view.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too cool! I've made them before using quilted fabric and had to add binding (ugh). This is so much quicker and good looking too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I can imagine myself taking a lovely nap with one of these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool idea! I would love it if you joined and contribute your awesome posts at my link party at City of Creative Dreams, starts on Fridays :D Hope to see you there at City of Creative Dreams Link Party.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for linking to Take-A-Look Tuesday over at Sugar Bee Crafts - you were featured today!! - - Mandy, SugarBeeCrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely eye masks. I'm going to try your pattern. (The one I have is not quite right.) I think yours may fit the nose better. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea hope they helped while on the train.

    ReplyDelete
  8. very fun idea. I need one of these for our travels! Shared on FB, and pinned. thanks for linking up to Create Link Inspire. Emily

    ReplyDelete
  9. The printed pattern is very small.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made my husband a sleep mask for his birthday but now my daughter wants one and I was too lazy to come up with a smaller pattern. You my dear are a life saver! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. many thanks for the pattern! just what i search for. I am going to make one for my sister, a great traveller :) thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Most of these products are non-woven, which allows for greater flexibility. Moreover, these products are latex-free and breathable. They are ideal for hospitals, dental offices, and outpatients
    n95 mask price kolkata

    ReplyDelete